Thursday, October 25, 2012

Delicious buttermilk gluten-free pancakes!

Wow!  These turned out even better than the typical buttermilk pancake!  I didn't even miss the gluten!

Obviously, to cook GF you need special flours and starches, so I recommend either hitting Bob's Red Mill in Portland (as I did) or going online to King Arthur Flour and finding the ingredients and keeping them handy.

So far I have made GF pizza dough (yummy and crispy!!), GF pancakes now and GF bread.   All worked out great once I got used to the different texture and long list of ingredients that accompanies GF recipes.

Give these pancakes a try.  They were so good I ate mine sans butter, sans syrup and sans jelly.  They were so good by themselves!!

1 1/2 cups of GF Flour mix (This is a blend of 140g of brown rice flour, 47g of potato starch & 23g of tapioca starch/flour)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons sugar (I used maple sugar!!! Made it delish!  Could smell the hint of maple sweetness and taste it too!)
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk at room temperature (I use the dehydrated buttermilk powder so I can have buttermilk in the house all the time - this stuff is amazing)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 extra-large egg, room temperature

Heat your griddle to medium high
In a large bowl, place the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and whisk together well.
In another bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and butter.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients on top and whisk until all the lumps are gone.
I ladle the batter onto the griddle and when one side looks dry and has holes in it, I flip over and cook until lightly browned on the other side.

These are best served nice and hot off the griddle!

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment