Monday, November 16, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls...yet another disaster!

Okay, so I have tried to make cinnamon rolls twice now with disasterous results. I didn't post the last time, because I thought I had learned from my previous mistakes and had it all figured out! The first time they came unrolled, leaked filling all over creation and my oven, but tasted like heaven! I had even improvised a bit with the icing and it turned out fantastic. So, I learned they had to be baked squished tight together so they don't come unrolled or fall over. I learned that I shouldn't baste butter across the whole inside or they won't "glue" together once they are rolled up and I learned to let both the butter and cream cheese get soft before I mixed the frosting, instead of melting the butter. Okay, so I "fixed" all those issues. Today I rolled out my dough perfectly, put butter all over the inside-except for about an inch by the top, filled it with cinnamon/brown sugar mixture, rolled them up TIGHT, pinched the ends together so they didn't unroll and then placed the individual rolls in a greased muffin tin (as was suggested by a friend). Everything went completely as planned and they looked marvelous! While they baked, I mixed together the icing and it was of a spreadable consistency. Yippee! I thought I had fixed all the issues and should have some delicious cinnamon rolls to send to work with my sweetheart.
Alas, it was not to be. Although I baked them for the same amount of time as last time, the filling burned to the bottom of the muffin tin and they are stuck in the tin....I PRIED one out and frosted it. Tasted burned. Certainly NOT like heaven. They look perfect! They look like they should...so why is it that I cannot master the art of excellent taste and perfect presentation? I am going to get another batch of dough going and I am going to attempt them again! I am going down with a fight!! No easy cinnamon roll is going to beat me! Stay tuned for the next round of Cinnamon Roll vs. Cowgirl Helen. The odds aren't good since the score is already Cinnamon Rolls - 2 Helen - O, but I am going to give it another shot before I completely give up on making cinnamon rolls because they smell fantastic and taste even better! I am going to post the recipe below, but if you have a better one...please let me know!

Cinnamon Rolls

White bread dough (I use the frozen white bread dough)

Filling -
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter (softened)

Frosting -
1 (3 oz) packed of cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt

Once dough has doubled in size, turn it onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for about 10 minutes. In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon.

Roll dough out to about a 16X20 rectangle. Spread softened butter all over the dough, leaving a 1 inch area without butter along the top of the rectangle. Sprinkle the filling mixture onto butter. Roll up the dough tightly and once you reach the top, pinch dough together so the roll stays rolled up. Cut into 12 individual rolls and place tightly in a lightly greased 9X13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Bake rolls until golden brown (not burned like me), this takes between 11-15 minutes. While rolls are baking combine ingredients for frosting in a bowl and mix well. Spread frosting over warm rolls before serving.

Enjoy!

Cowgirl Helen

5 comments:

  1. They don't look burned?? They look scrumpdilyicious! Hey....I passed this place the other day and it made me think of you--

    http://www.european-bistro.com/

    Should I go do some externship hours with them in your honor Hungarian princess??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you should honor the Hungarian Princess! They are burned on the bottom. Pissed me off! They seemed yummy, but NOT! Tomorrow again....

    ReplyDelete
  3. helen.....love this blog. great idea to share recipes. right up my alley...food. just a little hint that may help with the cinnamon rolls. if you turn them out of the pan shortly after removing them from the oven they wont stick due to the sugar hardening as it cools. they may not be burned at all. then you can flip them back over to frost. they look very good and im sure are yummy....mary etta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maryetta! Great idea! I thought they moved easily in the pan when I first took them out, but I got caught up in kneading my weekly bread, so I left them in there. That must be what happened. They did taste a bit like burned sugar though. I would love for you to share some of your recipes! Keep in touch. I ended up throwing out the pan and all. I inherited this muffin tin and I don't think it is a quality pan and everything seems to go wrong in it, so I just tossed the whole thing! LOL!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. here is a quick one that is johns favorite lately.
    2 sliced, cored apples. golden delic. are good for this.
    one anjou pear, peeled, cored, sliced
    cinnamon (we like a lot)
    cloves (scant)
    nutmeg, just a little
    adjust spices according to your liking

    sautee in 1/2 cube of butter till tender and transparent
    add 1/2 cup brown sugar and sautee about 1 minute or so. turns to carmel sauce. spoon some into desert dish and top with scoop of icecream and drizzle a little sauce on top. apple/pear pie without the crust.....!

    ReplyDelete