Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dutch Apple Pie!

You will certainly want to write this recipe down! It's easy, it's delicious and goes well with ice cream. No need to say more...

I decided to surprise my sweetheart, Matt, with an apple pie made from scratch today. He isn't used to such treatment and so I like to give him a treat every now and then to make sure to keep him happy!

I didn't actually mess this one up either, so I will give the recipe and post the end picture...I got tied up with work (yes, that ugly word) and so wasn't able to take pics of the process. Maybe next time. I got a little help from my sister on the bottom crust, since I am a rookie at such things, but she was able to text me the simple recipe and I was able to make a success of it, so I will include that as well!

DUTCH APPLE PIE!

5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter

In a bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of sugar, cinnamon and 2 tbsp flour. Add apples to pie pan and then sprinkle with this mixture. Then drizzle lemon juice over the top of this.

In another bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of flour. Cut in the butter until it forms a rough crumble. Top the pie with this mixture.

Pie crust
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
3-4 tbsp ice water

Mix together flour and salt. Cut in shortening until it is in small crumbles. Add ice water until it forms a soft dough ball. Roll out the ball and place in pie pan.


I recommend baking at 400 degrees for 30 minutes and then covering with foil and baking for another 20 minutes. This will ensure the crust doesn't over brown (like mine!).

You can top with homemade whipped cream or ice cream! Your choice.

Well, have fun baking and Bon Appetit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment